Thursday 26 May 2011

Cindy Penney's Oatcakes


I met Cindy at the Saltscapes Travel Expo in Halifax the end of April and I offered her a Cape Breton Oatcake which we brought to treat our visitors at the show. Cindy loved our oatcake, but told me that she made oatcakes at home that were really good too. So I asked her to send me her recipe and I would post it on the blog for all of you to try. If any of you have a recipe for oatcakes I am always interest to try it, and I will pass it along to my readers. By the way Cindy your oatcakes are delicious!

Oatcakes
Prep Time 15-20 minutes
Baking Time 20 minutes
Makes ~2 dozen

3C old fashioned oats (quick oats are fine)
3C flour
1C sugar, white or brown
2 tsp salt (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2C lard (margarine or butter is fine)
2/3C water

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Rub or cut in the lard using hands or pastry blender. Slowly add just enough water to moisten. Stir with a knife.
4. Shape into 2 balls and chill for 10 minutes.
5. Pat each ball onto a floured surface and roll to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shape.
6. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
7. Transfer to a rack to cool.

* I like mine a little thicker and just a little underbaked so they are chewy rather than crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment