Sunday 22 August 2010

Importance of Visitor Information Centres


We take it for granted; being from an island that understands the importance of Visitor Centers to the community. This week I had a man and woman in the VIC from Bridgewater asking what was in St. Peter's and the surrounding area to see and do. These visitors then asked, as so many do, how was tourism in our area. I told the couple that the number of visitors traveling through our Center had increased. And then I asked about tourism in their area and I was suprised by their response.

They told me that since their Visitor Information Centre had closed a couple of years ago, visitors were not stopping in the town, they were just driving through. That without the VIC to direct people to the attractions, visitors were passing through the area as they didn't know how to find the sites. As a result businesses in the area were missing out on the tourism buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment